Emergencies can happen when you least expect it and they usually do. Here are four ways to prepare for a dental emergency now to make a future incident less stressful:
1. Have an Emergency Tooth Fund
Do you have a piggy bank or maybe a travel savings jar? Many people are heavily impacted financially by their dental emergencies, so consider adding an emergency tooth fund to that list as well. By saving now, you'll be less stressed about worrying how to pay for needed dental care later. At Stratman Family Dentistry, we offer affordable dental care in Tucson, accept a variety of payment options, and provide monthly financing plans so you can get the treatment you need even when money is tight.
2. Research How to Handle Emergencies
It's incredibly helpful to know how to treat a dental emergency at home, especially if you have children or if you’re susceptible to dental injuries. Do some research online or talk to our expert dental team to learn how to handle common dental incidents, such as a chipped, fractured, or knocked-out tooth, until you can make it to our office or an emergency room. Many dental emergencies can be addressed using tools right in your kitchen. For instance:
- Salt and warm water rinses can help alleviate a toothache and clean a chipped or fractured tooth to prevent infection.
- Ice cubes can be made into a cold compress to minimize swelling after a blow to the face.
- Milk can preserve a knocked-out tooth for about 30 minutes until we can return it to its socket.
3. Make a Dental First Aid Kit
Emergencies happen where you least expect it. Keep a first aid kit accessible at all times. Be sure to include items useful for dental emergencies:
- Nonwoven gauze to staunch oral bleeding
- Dental adhesive for dentures or a dislodged filling or crown
- A tooth preservation kit for when you don't have access to milk
- An alcohol-free antibacterial mouthwash
- String floss to dislodge pesky food particles
4. Visit Our Office Every 6 Months
One of the best ways to prepare for a dental emergency is to visit us regularly. We can provide tips on how to handle future dental emergencies, and regular cleanings and professional dental checkups will help you prevent and catch small issues before they advance into emergency situations, such as advanced decay and gum disease. Contact our Stratman Family Dentistry team to schedule a checkup!
Call Us ASAP!
We offer same-day care for dental emergencies. If you do experience a dental emergency, call us at 520-745-6871 ASAP because it's critical to receive treatment as soon as possible. If left untreated for too long, some teeth cannot be saved.